These aluminum brackets are used, to fasten the profiles to the roof. (There are several versions, but this is for a roof with tiles)

In this way, the brackets are mounted around a wooden board.

Because the hook is also under the shelf, one screw is enough to fasten the hook.

Before I started working at the roof, I used AutoCAD to determine where the hooks had to be mounted on the roof, taking into account:

-The width approximately 1.3 m between the brackets,

-The perfect place for a panel support is around 30 cm from the top and bottom,

-The panels must not be lower than the gutter, and must remain under the chimney.

-When the 48 panels are mounted in three rows of 16, it still looks the best, and I can still climb to the rooftop on both sides.

The tiles are pushed upwards, so that the planks may be screwed on the roof rafters.

In the red circle you see that I have grinded a recess in the tile, in which the roofs hook, has to come.

The bottom surface of the tile, which will be on the hook, is grinded to make the tile thinner.

I first mounted to the lower hooks standing on a ladder, and then worked further up.

I could use the underlying hooks to hold a shelf where I could support my feet during the grinding of the tiles.  I could also place my tools on the roof without slipping down.

The hook is positioned so that the thinnest part is between the overlap of the tiles.

After the hook was screwed, he should not press the underlying tile, otherwise the tile may crack afterwards.

The upper tile should not bear on the hook.

The tiles should be perfectly connected with each other, just as they did before a hook was mounted between.

Mounting a total of 66 brackets was more than one day work.

Fortunately the weather in January 2008 was not to cold and the roof stayed dry, so this work progressed well.

I first simply attached the aluminum profiles to the hooks, without tightening the screws.

The hooks are adjustable in height, and the profiles also have 4 cm clearance.

With a cord I aligned the profiles, both in length as compared to each other.

Then I fastened all the screws.

Before moving the solar panels to the roof, my wife has attached the wires to the middle profile of the panels.

In each panel the + connector on one side and the - connector on the other side.

(The person in the picture is not my wife, but my brother.)

My brother lifted up the panels.

While I was sitting behind the aluminum profile, I was able to grab the panels.

While I rose, the panel was supported by the profile.

So I brought the panels into place.

The lower panels were held in place by my wife who was standing on a ladder. I screwed the panels on the profiles

For the second and third row, I could just lay down the panels in order to screw them to the profiles, because they were supported by the bottom row.

I was important not to forget to plug the plugs together, because once that the panels are installed, you can no longer reach them.

The end result is good.

The panels are a nice flat with no waves.


Here's a detail of a hook, profile and a mounted panel.

The people of Solar Spirit connected the strings (which are the DC cables).  So there will be 3 plus and 3 minus cable wires inside.

The cables come in through a ventilation tile, and are connected on the inverter.

The yellow-green wire is a grounding cable to the aluminum construction and is attached directly to the grounding terminal.

The strings are connected at the bottom of the inverter.

The AC power to the fuse box is also connected.

You can also see the antenna, which transmits data to the sunny beam.

The converter is screwed to the wall in our attic.

Because we have lived several years in our garage, our energy meter is mounted in the garage next to a fuse box. A second fuse box is mounted in our house.

In the fuse box, where the electrical power enters the network, people of Solar Spirit installed a surge protector.

A calibrated energy meter is connected in the fuse box of the house, to measure the generated electricity.

The entire PV system is protected by a fuse of 40 A

On March 5, 2008 evening, the installation is completely finished and connected.

The installer could just take advantage of the setting sun, to test if everything worked.

Now we only had to wait for the installation to be inspected.

On March 28, 2008, the installation was finally approved, and officially inaugurated.

I want to thank my daughter Lore for the pictures she made.